Monday, May 5, 2008

My success story as President of Rotary E-club 3310



Here is my success story as President of Rotary E-Club of 3310. I owe it to my two mentors; our CP B S Chew and Honorary Moderator, Dr Ho Loon Shin.

Both of them single-handedly guided me from day one when I became a Charter member. There were behind me, guiding me daily either by sms, telephone or internet. We connected all the time, 24/7. That is the fellowship and camaraderie which has become our Rotary E-Club's icon.

The journey began in the first year when we were chartered. I told my mentor then that I have a passion for youths and would like to start off as New Generations Director for 2 years. But I soon found that 12 months were too short a time for full appreciation of the situation.

So I FOCUS on what I called projects for youths. Before, l embarked on any project, I would consult my two mentors. I went through the 3-H process -- Head on, Hands on, and Heart on, learning, unlearning and relearning.

I started with simple BASIC knowledge of Rotary which is to attend club meetings and never to miss club meetings. Attendance is the most important of all. Besides PRESENCE, we need to be PARTICIPATIVE in Rotary Club, District and overseas events/projects. Be yourself.

I am proud to say, I was 100% in attendance though our Rotary E-Clubs is UNIQUE AND SPECIAL IN OUR OWN WAY only having a monthly physical meeting and 24/7 in cyberspace. That was quite easy and good for me. As most of our club members are professionals and businessmen, it was an IDEAL CHOICE. I have always wanted to join a Rotary Club and I have found the ideal Club in ROTARY E-CLUB OF 3310
www.rotaryeclub3310.org.

My first two years were spent in building youth projects. The first was to sign a Twin Club in MANILA. With the help of my mentor, CP B S Chew, our first sister club was sealed. We did joint projects, building several houses at Rotary International Village @ Brookside. Each year, our ITE Interactors and Rotaractors raise US$1,000 to fund the building of one house. They raised funds through their own projects to build houses for the destitute there. We were lucky. We not only have one Sister Club but another which focuses on MUNA (Model United Nations Assembly). Our Interactors and Rotaractors have acquired first hand experience in understanding the preliminary procedures and workings of United
Nations. Each year, at least 5 to 15 members came along. Our largest contingent of youths was 20 including the teacher-advisors and Rotary mentors.

Our Rotary E-Club sponsored the ITE College East Interact Club and latter formed the 1st ever Rotaract E-Club of District 3310. Most of the Interactors graduated after 2 years in ITE College but they still have the passion and fire in their belly. They keep asking me, "Uncle Ed, what do i do next=3F". I told them, "Not to worry, I will form one E-Rotaract Club for you".

As my desire and passion grow deeply in youth, we were very lucky to have very good Sister Club in Johore Bharu where we did joint RYLA projects. It became a regular feature and many asked us, "How come you are so successful in organizing RYLA."

We are now exploring the extra mile to TAKE THE CHALLENGE by twinning with another Rotary Club in District 3330. Our long term goal is to hold an ASEAN RYLA in the years ahead.

We have decided to work with NGOs. Come 26 and 27 July 2008, we are organizing for the first time, a YLO-Rotary "Anthony Robbins-style" 2 days Y-rated program for the 1,200 youths. This is done in collaboration with another Rotary Club and MCYS.

It has been on going since the day I joined Rotary E-Club. My mentor taught me to JUST FOCUS on one item at a time and to build the relationship. By doing that, we are also promoting and publicizing “ A
Guide to Daily Living and The 4-Way Test”. Being trained as a boy scout and a grass-root leader, it was so easy for me to understand the concept of Service Above Self.

In the first year, it was very tough. We started as a PROTOTYPE Rotary E-Club. Many seniors and experienced Rotarians were very skeptical that we could do projects. Despite the challenges, I was comforted by my mentor that "we win some, we loose some". It was not the thunder we want to steal at the District; rather it was COMPASSION and LOVE. Everything is changing. We need to move on or be left behind.

After the initial two years, I decided to assume a higher leadership role. I was installed as President-elect in the year 2006/2007 before becoming president in year 2007/2008. During the process, I learned to network with other Rotary Clubs. I practiced what my mentor taught me, "Made the talk, talk the talk and walk the talk."

We formed strategic alliances with other countries and other Districts. I told them, as a PROTOTYPE, the more we should expand and stretch to the fullest what CREATIVE IDEAS WE CAN DEVELOP. Rotary
E-Club of 3310 is a MODEL that has been successfully tested! The result is simply amazing! There is no right or wrong way of getting things done.

We embarked on numerous projects. One of them was the first ever, Unsung Heroes Award during RI World Understanding and Peace Day. We held the Rotary Foundation Flag Day as well as helping out in the flood in Philippines caused by typhoon and tsunami..

PP Dr Ho Loon Shin is the CIA in our
www.rotaryeclub3310.org portal. Together with CP B S Chew, they made a difference in my life. At the recently concluded District Assembly, we received the following recognitions from District Governor Chris Chen, namely,
1. Best Interact Club Project -- Winner, ITE College East Interact Club
2. Best Interact Club Project -- Winner, Rotary E-Club of 3310
3. Best Vocational Service Project -- Commendation: Best New Initiative
4. Best "Guide to Daily Living" Project -- Commendation

Without these twin pillars (mentors), my term as President, would not have been easy. Let us continue to work harmoniously as a T-E-A-M to MAKE DREAM REAL for our children. Let us make the necessary changes to help make this world a better place to live in.

President Edmund Chew
Rotary E-Club of 3310
2007/2008

Making things HAPPEN… Experience the enthusiastic and easy to connect way....

WE ARE REAL. Log on: www.rotaryeclub3310.org

No comments: