Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The E.C Road to Success

The “E.C” Road to Success…

Is the path to success ever easy? We posed this question to Edmund Chew (E.C), an ITE Alumni member who graduated with a certificate in Dimensional Design from the Baharuddin Vocational Institute.

Now, this is the man who started his million dollar logistics operations with two dollars, transported the tallest Christmas tree into Singapore when everyone thought it was not possible, runs a seminars and management consultancy company, is a much sought-after speaker, is the official study host for Coachville Singapore Chapter, is very actively involved in the Rotarian and Toastmasters movement in Singapore, was one of the award winners of the Spirit of Enterprise 2003… gosh, his string of achievements is certainly very impressive!

Q: Edmund, do you remember how life was for you as a VITB (now ITE) student?

EC: Like it or not, we were wrongly labeled as underachievers in my time. While it was true that I was weak academically and didn’t like most of the subjects in school, I did excel at Art, History and Literature. I felt like the black sheep of the family because all my other siblings did well in school. But then I figured that I am more of a hands-on person. That is why VITB training turned out to be quite suitable for me. There, I acquired valuable trade skills and also learned to be more creative.

Q: In Singapore, having the right paper qualifications is deemed important to get a good job. How did that affect you?

EC: Let me answer that with a short story. On my first day in the course, my classmates and I met our teacher, Mr Iskandar Jalil (Singapore’s most famous potter). The moment we sat down, he gathered up a clump of clay, slammed it onto the table top and exclaimed, “There! That’s what you all are now! A useless pile of mud!” We were shocked and absolutely crushed by his words. As we stared at him, Mr Jalil quickly brushed the clay onto the floor and replaced it with a finished vase. He continued, “Look! From that piece of mud, you can be a beautiful vase! That’s the transformation that will take place in your lives before you walk out of my class!” We were inspired! You know, I never regretted my humble beginnings in ITE. In fact, I am forever grateful to Mr Jalil and ITE for believing in me!

Q: And so the seed of success was planted in your young mind. How was life after your graduation?

EC: Haha! Maybe it does help sometimes that I am not so clever. Right after graduation, I did my national service and straightaway ‘chiong’ (Hokkien for rushed into doing something) already! I started my own small business in printing cards. But, too bad, no business and I had to close shop after six months! I then worked as a graphics and signboard artist. I did a Marketing diploma course and explored other business ideas. I figured with Singapore becoming a business hub, the logistics sector would grow correspondingly.

Q: So you ‘chiong’ again?

EC: Ah! I learned from my earlier mistake. This time, I knew that I needed to start from scratch and learn the ropes of running a business properly. And mind you, this was a totally new area, not something that I studied in VITB. So for two years, I was the despatch boy, I was the driver… you name it and I did all of that! Just for the experience. After that, I went to work in a multi-national company (MNC) to get marketing experience. About three years later, I was finally ready! I found some partners and formed a joint venture company. There was no looking back after that!

Q: You make it sound so easy! So what is the secret to success?

EC: I have been asked that so many times and my answer remains the same - Nothing Comes Easy! It’s sheer hard work. No short cuts! No escaping the mistakes and the pains. You have to learn new skills, relearn basic skills and unlearn outdated ones! For me, I honed my drawing and communication skills. At age 45 now, I am still learning! There is so much knowledge around us and we need to tap into this huge knowledge base.

Q: Sigh, now you make it so tough! Is that what our new ITE graduates should expect when they join the workforce?

EC: The new graduates are so lucky. They learn more things in school these days and with Singapore giving more recognition to entrepreneurs these days, they can get a mentor or coach to launch their careers. As for me, I learned the hard way - by trial and error. Nobody told me what to do. But the new ITE graduate must realize that things move at a faster pace these days. They have to be motivated to know more than the next person, to seize the opportunity at the right place and right time.

Q: Would you have any advice to give to our graduates?

EC: Communication skills are very important. Learn to speak and write better. The winner is the person who can convey his ideas clearly and sell his ideas effectively. Dare to be creative and tell yourself it is all right to fail. And be prepared to step out of your comfort zone. Singapore is very small and we need to explore the many opportunities found in the region, like China and India, as well as globally. You have to be prepared to forsake the safe confines of Singapore and work in a different environment, to work with people from different cultures.

Q: One last question… it’s amazing how you have achieved so much in your life? I am sure you don’t do time travel. So how do you find so much time to do these things?

EC: Some people say I am mad but do you know I sleep only about four hours a day? Life is so short and we have so little time left, taking away the time we spent studying, sleeping and eating! Everyday, I am up by 6am, walk my son to school, start work at 9am, make sales calls after lunch, have dinner with my family, then engage in meetings and networking activities until about midnight! It is tiring but I enjoy every minute of it! I reserve Saturdays all to myself to ‘recharge my batteries’. Sunday is my precious Family Day. Maybe there is one other secret I will leave with you…and that is my DNA. No, it’s not some good gene that I was born with. It simply means Discipline and Attitude. With that, you will get the energy and drive to do anything that you want to do!

No comments: